09 September 2019 / Club News

Penybanc 10 Rhigos 7

After the woes of the previous season, Banc retuned to league action last Saturday as they welcomed Rhigos RFC. Pre-season has been much improved this season with good numbers out on the paddock and all showing a great work ethic. With several new signings also, it was hoped that the good feeling in the club would transfer on to the field.

Banc started the game confidently with big carries from skipper Shaun James and No 8 Aled Danter. The Rhigos pack were formidable however and slowed down lots of Banc ball. From a penalty on halfway, full back Nathan Tucker put in a great kick to touch for an attacking lineout. A great take from Danter saw the Banc pack get a rumble on. Good defence from the visitors again slowed things down but second row Cellan Harris was able to peel from the maul and twist his way over for the opening score. The half continued to be a battle between the packs with aggressive defence from both sides. Banc managed to get some quick ball and spread it out to wing Steff Williams to go over in the corner on his debut for the club as the first half came to an end.

Half Time – Penybanc 10 Rhigos 0

Rhigos continued to pressure the tigers as the second got underway. Banc however, had plenty of opportunities themselves and were guilty of throwing away several of them. The introduction of wing Sam Benger, another making his debut for the club, saw him making several clean breaks immediately. Tucker made a fine break from halfway before offloading to Benger who was only stopped by a last-ditch tackle. Impressive centres Chris Griffiths and Tom Gale were more influential as the game wore on and looked to be a powerful partnership. Rhigos were not done however and scored with 15 minutes to go. Banc were guilty of a missed tackle and the away scrum half went over for a converted try.

It was now all to play and while defences continued to rule, both sides made half breaks. Rhigos looked dangerous and it took a brave defence effort spearheaded by man of the match Owain Pritchard to keep them at bay. Banc soaked up the pressure in the last 5 minutes before the referee blew up for full time. There were lots of big performances on the day but a real team effort in defence on the day secured the win. Lots to work on for the coaching team this week as we look forward to visiting old rivals Pantyffynnon RFC next Saturday.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments